Thursday, January 6, 2011
Stir-Fried Seeds and Vegetables
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
2 garlic cloves, minced
1" piece of fresh ginger root (peeled and finely chopped)
3 carrots (cut julienne style)
2 large zucchini (cut julienne style)
2 1/2 cups oyster mushrooms-about a 5 or 6 oz. package (slice each in a couple pieces)
4 cups spinach (pack tightly to make each cup) (save 1 cup to stir in before serving)
2 cup cilantro leaves (reserve 1 cup for garnish)
4 Tbsp. black bean sauce (buy from Asian market or order online)
2 Tbsp. Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 Tbsp. palm sugar (I paid $5.99 at Whole Foods for 8 oz./Purchase at iherb. for 2.99)
(You can substitute with raw cane sugar)
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. dried red pepper flakes (optional) Will make dish mildly hot.
1. Heat olive oil in a wok or large pan. Add the seeds. Toss over medium heat for 1 minute, then add the garlic and ginger. Continue to stir-fry until the ginger is aromatic and the garlic is golden brown. Do not let the garlic burn.
2. Add the carrot, zucchini and mushroom pieces to the wok and stir-fry over a medium heat for another
3. When all the vegetables are crisp, and the mushrooms are tender, add 3 cups of packed spinach and 1 cup cilantro. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
4. Mix together black bean sauce, soy sauce, palm sugar and vinegar. Add into stir-fry mixture and stir well.
5. Before serving stir an additional 1 cup packed spinach into stir-fry. Serve on side of brown rice and garnish with cilantro.
Perfect Brown Rice
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 tsp. olive oil
2 cups filtered water
1. Fix brown rice by cooking in 1 tsp. olive oil until lightly browned. You will hear it start to snap, crackle and pop. Add 2 cups water all at once. Quickly put on lid and bring to boil. Turn down heat to simmer until all water has evaporated (around 40 minutes).