This is an absolutely delicious, healthier version of a holiday bread I created several years ago. It is a great bread for gift giving and for holiday parties. Cranberries are harvested in September and October and available fresh up until Christmas. Keep this recipe in mind as the Fall months approach, and stock up on some extra cranberries in your freezer.
2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. non-aluminum baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
2 cups fresh whole cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp. ground flax seed mixed with 3 Tbsp. water)
3/4 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
3. Stir in orange zest, cranberries, and walnuts. Set aside.
4. In a sauce pan , cream together butter, sugar, and flax egg until smooth. Stir in Orange juice.
Heat on medium until raw sugar has been absorbed.
5. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry and pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour in preheated oven, or until the bread springs back when lightly touched.
7. Let stand 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.