CHIA SEED FACTS:
- Chia seeds have an optimal amount of essential Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids in an ideal ratio of 3:1. Omega-3's promote cardiovascular health and may help regulate cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels. Highest vegetarian source of Omega-3's (gram for gram).
- Richest Known Whole Food Source of Fiber
- One serving of chia seeds provides 20% of the daily recommended intake of fiber. Chia contains insoluble and soluble fiber, which may assist in helping to lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels, as well as aid with digestion, detoxification and weight loss.
- 20% more fiber than flax seeds (gram for gram).
- High Quality Protein
- Chia seeds are a vegetarian source of high quality protein containing all the essential amino acids. Proteins are the building blocks of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and bones.
- 3 times more protein than beans and legumes (gram for gram).
Makes 4 servings
Raw Vegan, Gluten Free
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 to 6 hours and rinsed
3 pitted, jumbo Medjool dates soaked for 4 to 6 hours in 2 cups of water (reserve soak water)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon plus extra for topping
1 packet of stevia (optional for added sweetness)
1/4 cup chia seeds
Place cashews, dates, date soak water, vanilla, cinnamon and stevia in a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
In a 1 quart bowl, combine cashew mixture with the chia seeds and stir vigorously with a fork for several minutes.
Let mixture sit for 15 minutes and stir vigorously again until the chia seeds are well blended and no longer clump together.
Once the mixture is well combined and no longer separating, place in the refrigerator for one day.
Dust with more cinnamon and serve.
Per serving: 173.5 calories, 9.1 g fat, 1.3 g saturated fat, 1.8 g omega 3 and 1.7 g omega 6 fatty acids, 0 mg cholesterol, 4.1 g protein, 21.9 g carbohydrate and 5.8 g dietary fiber.