- GENEROUSLY SIZE - 11 x 7.4 x 3 inch (rolled) ; 11 x 30 inch...
- MATERIAL - Water-resistant Polyester peach skin with supple...
Individuals touring alongside NE 65th St wanted enhancements to reinforce security, and we delivered. Learn the complete report right here.
After our redesign alongside the 1.5 mile stretch between NE Ravenna Blvd and 39th Ave NE:
NE 65th St is an arterial road in northeast Seattle carrying hundreds of individuals strolling, rolling, biking, using the bus, and driving day by day.
In 2021, the Northgate Hyperlink Extension and Roosevelt Hyperlink Gentle Rail Station will open, bringing much more exercise to the hall.
Not too long ago, important visitors questions of safety emerged alongside this rising hall. From 2014-2018, 4 folks misplaced their lives and 5 folks had been significantly injured in crashes on NE 65th St. Greater than 200 different crashes occurred throughout that interval.
Change was wanted quickly to make NE 65th St safer, and we labored in partnership with the group and former Councilmember Rob Johnson to #Repair65th.
All through 2017-2018, we held group boards and drop-in classes for the NE 65th Road Imaginative and prescient Zero Challenge, which helps Seattle’s bigger Imaginative and prescient Zero objectives to finish visitors deaths and severe accidents on metropolis streets by 2030.
Our objectives for the NE 65th St Redesign:
Improve security for everybody by decreasing crashes and accidents
Enhance entry to the long run Roosevelt Hyperlink Gentle Rail Station for folks strolling, rolling, and biking
Enhance transit service and connections to the long run Roosevelt Hyperlink Gentle Rail Station
In the end, our venture included:
- Redesigning NE 65th St: We made adjustments on the west finish (from NE Ravenna Blvd to 20th Ave NE), and on the east finish (from 20th Ave NE to 39th Ave NE).
- Making security enhancements: We lowered posted velocity limits from 30 MPH to 25 MPH, put in pedestrian countdown timers and guarded left flip phases at intersections with indicators, added a brand new hardened centerline at Roosevelt Approach NE, and repainted marked crosswalks.
- Creating shared transit stops: We made 4 bus stops accessible to all ages and skills whereas assembly the problem of engaged on a constrained road.
- Enhancing transit journey instances: There was consolidation of bus stops alongside the road.
Our redesign centered on decreasing the width and quantity of visitors lanes to accommodate different enhancements, like including protected bike lanes and middle flip lanes.
Earlier than the venture, there have been a complete of 4 journey lanes throughout peak hours (the place two lanes served as parking throughout off-peak hours).
Now, alongside the west section of NE 65th St, there are two journey lanes, a protected bike lane in every course, and a middle flip lane.
We labored with King County Metro on a brand new shared transit cease design knowledgeable by steering from Nationwide Affiliation of Metropolis Transportation Officers (NACTO) and what different cities have accomplished.
This balanced our want to make bus stops accessible to all ages and skills with the problem of working in a constrained road. The shared stops on NE 65th St had been the first of their sort to be inbuilt Seattle.
The 4 shared stops are positioned alongside NE 65th St at Oswego Pl NE, eighth Ave NE, 14th Ave NE, and 16th Ave NE. Listed below are the important thing options making it safer for each passengers and bikes:
- Buses don’t have to cross over the bike lane to make a cease
- The bike lane is raised to sidewalk degree and positioned between the automobile journey lane and sidewalk
- Transit passengers board and depart (“alight”) the bus by crossing over the bike lane at designated locations
- Bikes should yield to passengers boarding and alighting the bus
The design and security adjustments to NE 65th St considerably decreased collisions and expanded entry for folks strolling, biking, and using the bus.
We in contrast 2019 findings associated to visitors, velocity, collisions, and journey instances to information from 2017 and earlier.
|There have been fewer collisions and accidents, and no deadly or extreme harm collisions, in 2019.
||Notably, on the west section of the venture, there have been no left flip collisions because of the addition of left flip lanes and guarded left flip phases. Crashes involving pedestrians decreased by 67%, from three to 1 – additionally a results of the redesign and security enhancements.|
|Individuals drove slower.||On the east section of the venture, common speeds had been even beneath the brand new 25 MPH velocity restrict. Throughout segments, the proportion of individuals rushing (going over 30 MPH) was additionally decrease.|
|There have been extra folks strolling and using bikes total.||The West section with the brand new protected bike lane noticed massive will increase in biking quantity. The East section noticed decreases, probably as a result of there was no bike lane, and the in-progress Wedgwood to Roosevelt Neighborhood Greenway is close by on NE 68th St.
|Journey instances had been barely longer.||On NE 65th St between NE Ravenna Blvd to 25th Ave NE, journey instances had been about 1-2 minutes longer by transit and 0-1 minutes longer by automobile. Elevated journey time for vehicles is anticipated and acceptable, because the enhancements we made prioritized folks strolling, rolling and biking. Transit journey now takes barely longer as a result of buses and vehicles share fewer full-time lanes (from 4 to 2 throughout peak hours). There’s additionally new full-time parking on the East section, a revised Route 62 schedule, and guarded left flip phases – all of which might sluggish issues down somewhat.
|The shared transit cease operated as supposed.||There had been no reported operational or questions of safety (because of folks strolling, biking, and King County Metro!). Pedestrians primarily used the marked crosswalks to board or alight the bus, and didn’t wait or stroll within the bike lane. Virtually all folks biking rode within the bike lane – not the journey lane – by the cease. We didn’t see a bus ramp or accessible carry deployed on video throughout our commentary interval, however we’re preserving a detailed eye on video to verify this design is working properly for folks of ages and skills.
This implies we’re transferring in the fitting course. Not solely have these enhancements made folks alongside NE 65th St safer, they’ll assist help elevated numbers of individuals strolling, rolling, and biking when the Roosevelt Hyperlink Gentle Rail station opens subsequent yr. We’ll be watching intently to see how the redesign is working then!
Within the meantime, the success of those adjustments complement and helps inform different security efforts locally.
- There can be adjustments to and extra bike lanes to help journey throughout the Duwamish and mitigate the influence of the West Seattle Excessive-Rise Bridge closure on folks and communities. Not too long ago, we refreshed bike lanes alongside East Marginal Approach S.